Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Heart Thoughts from Helen

“Wait thou only upon God” Psalm 62:5

There stood an old woman on the hillside waiting in front of a modest house. Her face turned toward the wind, her arms crossed her sweatered chest, waiting. Her expression was a study in solitude, not smiling, just waiting... Who would come over those red clay hills to relieve her of her burden? Would anybody come? How long would she stand there and wait?

A dog sat by the side of that back road we wandered onto. The animal was alone, but by the expectant look on his face, he waited…alert, watching, and anticipating. There were yellow school buses on the road about that time of the afternoon. Was there a child watching for a faithful friend and waiting…?

When I traveled across the country roads of Sumter County to high school on a yellow school bus many years ago, my faithful collie dog, Princess , knew exactly when to meet me at the bus stop to walk me down that two tenths of a mile to my house. She waited for me rain or shine. I waited for her.

It has been said that we spend much of life hurrying so that we can sit and wait. Ever been there? Perhaps you’re just waiting for the other shoe to drop after a series of life’s hard knocks.

Waiting can be used constructively. I carry reading material and pen and paper everywhere I go so that in the waiting rooms of my life, I occupy myself reading or writing. Some folks like to be people watchers, waiting and watching other folks. Folk’s faces reveal a lot about folks. Being still requires practice.

Do you ever try to just be still before the LORD? It is one of the hardest things to do in life. So many of the things that we wait for are unimportant; so how do we decide what and who is worthy of our waiting?

What/Who are you waiting for?

Scripture directs us to: “… wait only upon God and silently submit to Him; for my hope and expectation are from Him.” Psalm 62:5 (AMP)

But WAIT! God is worth the wait. The Sovereign Lord of the Universe may be waiting for you this very moment to come to Him with all your hopes and expectations. He is faithful and well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment