Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HEART THOUGHTS .... from Helen

"...she fell at his feet" John 11:32

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news." (Isaiah 52:7)

I'm taking a page from the book of Mary...to be found in the library at THE UNIVERSITY OF THE FEET. My syllabus includes several weeks' worth of foot pain beginning with surgery on Tuesday and ending with a few more weeks of recuperative time. Bunions cause pain, preventing many activities and many pairs of shoes lying dormant in my closet. And then there is the problem of a neuroma that must be removed. So, do you have your Google search going yet? I'll save you some time because I know you rushed to do your research at the U of F library.

Bunions: an inflammation of the sac bursa around the first joint of the big toe, accompanied by swelling and sideways displacement of the joint. When I saw my foot x-rays, I nearly fell off the table. These are not the beautiful feet I read about in Scripture. Oh dear, no wonder my feet hurt. Neuroma: usually benign tumor growing on the sheath of a nerve (under my third and fourth toe).

While I'm learning more at Foot College perhaps I'll take a refresher course at spending time at the Master's feet. Mary certainly learned a lot doing just that. Spending time at the feet of Jesus, Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, demonstrates just what a real education is all about. In fact every time we encounter this Mary, we find her attending the University of the Feet, learning, feeding, and ministering. An apt lesson to learn!

Luke 10:39, tells us that "she sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said". Unfortunately, Mary received quite the reprimand from her sister for not helping Martha, prepare the food and wait on their Guest. Have you ever been rebuked for studying too much? Have you ever been scolded for partaking of 'soul food'? When is the last time you sat raptly at His feet and listened to Him?

In John the eleventh chapter, Mary sought the Lord after her brother's death when her sister informed her that "The Teacher is here ...and is asking for you." (v. 28) He sought her; she found Him. In your grief, do you hurry to Him who has the only comfort that counts?

In the twelfth chapter of John, Mary anoints the feet of Jesus with about a half quart of expensive perfume. She then wiped them with her hair. It seems spending time at Jesus' feet educates you far beyond the obvious. She apparently wanted to do her part in anointing His body for burial. Mary sacrificially broke open her most precious possession and poured its contents on His soon to be pierced feet. What does the song say? Broken and spilled out just for love of you Jesus... (Steve Green)

Lord, You know I've never liked school in any shape or form but to sit at Your Feet and to look into Your Face, surely learning will take on new meaning. I enroll now in THE UNIVERSITY OF THE FEET, knowing how expensive the tuition but I simply must learn another lesson in pain and patience as You, O Excellent Rabbi, teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment