Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thoughts on Lying

"...God, who does not lie" (Titus 1:2) NIV "He doesn't break promises" (THE MESSAGE)
"Admit it. You lie. And if you say you don't, you're a liar." (Andy Simmons in Reader's Digest, August edition)

Have you ever had someone break a promise or lie to you? I dare say everyone can point a finger at someone else who did that quicker than they see those other fingers pointing back at themselves. We've all been there, done that and gotten the T-shirt.

This article in Reader's Digest entitled, LIAR, LIAR, caught my eye recently. Simmons lists the ways to recognize a lie. I won't list them, because I may get caught in one or may catch you. How do you react when you discover someone has lied to you?
• explosively,
• cynically
• silently
• revengefully
• seethingly

Invariably we hear from children, "You promised!!" or "You broke your promise". And they don't forget it, either! I've broken many promises in my life and I probably will break a few more. I don't intentionally set out to break them or to lie, but sometimes it happens. Sometimes I 'stretch the truth' so as not to hurt someone's feelings.

"You can't stop lies entirely," University of Massachusetts psychologist Robert Feldman states. Oh my, that is not encouraging. So, who can you trust?
I've been reading the tiny Book of Titus in the New Testament recently and this phrase in the first chapter jumped out at me this morning.

The Apostle Paul wrote a letter to a young Titus encouraging him in his duties to the folks in Crete. Apparently he had his job cut out for him because in verse 12 he says, "The Cretans are liars from the womb, barking dogs, lazy bellies" (THE MESSAGE) Now, I don't know about you, but that's not very heartening. We've served three churches in our entire ministry and two as interim and I surely would not say that about any of them. The fact, however, is that I've experienced broken promises and been shocked to discover liars in the congregation as well as the community. It always cuts to the core, doesn't it?

What about our family? Have you ever lied to them or caught them in a lie? Oh yes!
"Did you take that quarter out of my drawer?"

"No, Ma'am!"

"Then how come I found it in your pocket?"

"LIAR! She lies; she's a liar!" That makes sense.

"Does this tie go with this suit?"

"Um, sure, but let me see if there's a better one."

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing." NOTHING??????

Come on! And we won't even touch the politicians. That's a whole 'nother article, or maybe a book or a library.

So, who can you trust? Certainly not the Crete's. That's why Titus was left with such a task, to tell them they didn't have to lie; they didn't have to break promises. God who doesn't lie or break promises has provided a way of salvation that enables us through His Spirit to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that life without end is ours through Jesus Christ. He also helps us live a God filled life and put our lives back together and live in honest fellowship with Him. AND THAT AIN'T A LIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment