Monday, September 19, 2011

Political Posturing

Way back in the middle sixties, while still single, I worked as a nurse in the Emergency Room at Greenville General Hospital. A good friend who interned there at the same time gave me some advice on how to attract the male of the species.
“Remember these three things”: Dee said.

1. Always smile
2. Maintain good posture
3. If at all possible, drive a sports car, he chuckled.

I did remember his advice and tried my best at the first two on the list. I never got the sports car.

These days in the News I read so much about political posturing, I began to wonder just how to define such a term. One definition states it relates especially to party politics and results from beliefs unacceptable to government. According to the Encarta Dictionary, it can be pragmatic or carried out for reasons that best serve a desired outcome rather than for other reasons such as morally justifiable.

So, as I look at the phrase, political posturing, my mind’s eye sees posture as how one stands or holds one’s body, standing, sitting, kneeling or lying down. Is political posturing standing straight in the political arena?


If candidates demonstrate good political posturing, will they attract voters?
If they present a photogenic “smile” will that gain favor with the electorate?
Does driving the politically correct bandwagon (bus) count for more than their character?

I can’t really say what attracted my husband to me, whether it was my smile, my posture or my blue 1964 Ford Fairlaine 500. I’d like to think it was Christian character, but you’ll have to ask him that question. I know that what I’m looking for in a presidential candidate is Christian Character, not POLITICAL POSTURING.

No comments:

Post a Comment