Friday, April 30, 2010

HEART THOUGHTS from Helen

"Roller Coaster Ride"

“It’s what we trust in but don’t yet see that keeps us going.” (2 Corinthians 5:7) THE MESSAGE

Roller-coasters fascinated me in my much younger life. The thrill of the climb and heart stopping plunge downward sent a rush of adrenalin that must resemble that of the old commercial the “Dew-crowd”.

I’ve since come to realize the danger in such a drastic transposition, both physically and emotionally.

“Lord, since I’ve’ been there and done that, level me off, emotionally, in this up and down world of confusing circumstances. Even when You say “No,” as You did to the Apostle Paul, don’t let me lose my enthusiasm. He didn’t fold his tent and silently creep away into the night when Your Spirit kept him from going into Bithynia. Lord, forgive me for demanding my way, but grant me a glorious gladness in doing it Your way.

“Lord, Paul’s journey took him from mountain top to valley, from freedom to bondage, time and again…and he was obedient. Even when prison doors shut him in and stocks bound him down, he sang! Help me to praise You in the dark dungeon of disappointment. In paralyzing stupidity, speak through me that others may hear me praising, not screaming.

“Father, give me that holy boldness, that gift of encouragement, to share joyously Your love and provision, no matter the outward circumstance. You gave it to Paul, would you grant it to me? And, yes, Lord, I read of the price he paid. In fear and trembling, again, I stand waiting for my ticket to rise and fall as You determine the course ahead. Grant me that infinitely greater power to ride out the turmoil of this world, because I have been born from above."

(addendum: This Heart Thought penned May 1, 1995, grabbed my attention this morning. I’m not sure of the roller coaster ride of that moment but I can well guess that daily we all experience the same rise and fall of facing life’s challenges. Since I’ve been there and done that actual roller coaster thing, I’ll be content to wear the T-Shirt and wait for life’s next hill to climb and depth to plunge.

What roller coaster ride are you experiencing? Just because you can’t see over the next hill, doesn’t mean you’re alone on the journey.

“We live by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment