Friday, December 2, 2011

“Do not be like the horse or the mule…”Psalm 32:9 NIV

My Granddaddy Goodson’s horse, Dan, demonstrated to me what that verse must mean. His leathery mouth was so tough; it took a special bridle with two bits to control him. Even though Dan remains to this day the horse I loved the most, he challenged me at every turn.

I’m sure that I must be somewhat like Dan to my heavenly Father, even though He specifically instructs me not to be. My stubborn, headstrong will needs extra attention. In the verse prior to verse 9 we read: “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;I will counsel you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8

Thank you, Father, for Divine Counsel, Divine Guidance, Divine Teaching and being my Divine Teacher. Even as the ‘Horse Whisperer and trainer whispers in the velvety ear of his steed which way to go as he uses the bridle to turn the animal, stop the animal, urge the horse forward with his heels, You guide me, teach me and counsel me.

Addendum: The time finally came when I could ride Dan without bridle or bit for short distances. He could surprise me at any moment, however, and did quite often. I suppose the mighty animal wanted me to know that just because he allowed me to control him, his strength was not to be toyed with. “Don’t be like the horse or the mule.”

Perhaps that’s why the Lord chose a donkey to transport the Holy Family and a donkey to transport a KING into Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment