Thursday, May 26, 2011

My First Cup of Coffee Is the Best

May 24, 2011---HEART THOUGHTS…from Helen

The first cup of coffee in the morning is the best! If you have a timer on your coffee maker, you can rise to the wonderful aroma of fresh brewed java. I like to heat our cups before pouring. As my arthritic fingers fold around the warm cup, the heat soothes the stiffness first thing at the break of day. In these latter days my taste buds really like half and half in my brew, but just to ease my conscience, I get fat free half and half. I know, I know, that defeats the whole purpose, but it makes me feel less guilty. When I sit down and sip the first sip, there’s just nothing quite as full flavored and satisfying early in the morning. The first fruits of the day…the first cup of coffee…the first thoughts in my minds turn toward having a little talk with Jesus. Thanking Him for the blessings of that first cup of coffee comes first. Now, I’m not a real hardened coffee aficionado and I don’t drink it all day nor in the evening, but I do like that first cup. None tastes as good as the first.

It reminds me of how the Lord instructed us to “Bring the best of the first fruits of your soil”… (Exodus 23:10). I rather understand that in a finite fashion. If I enjoy the first cup of coffee, the first biscuit out of the oven, the crusty hot piece of cornbread straight from the pan, the early morning tousled heads of grandchildren climbing in my lap, the early glow of daylight as the sun creeps in from the eastern sky, why wouldn’t the God of all grace, the Creator of coffee beans and cups and creamer covet the first and best of me, the crown of His creation? Think about it the next time you pour your first cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment