Tuesday, October 4, 2011

T'uther Side

No matter what time of the year you go, Pretty Place, in northern Greenville County, can’t be beat for the gorgeous view. This time of the year is particularly beautiful. Once when we rode up Cleveland Cliff to enjoy the spectacular scene in the beauty of fall clothing, I noticed a small mountain home retreat with the sign identifying it as “T’uther Side”. Smiling, I thought about that a great deal en route down the mountain.

In my life I’ve often dreamed of being on ‘T’uther side’. Have you? If I had such and such or if only so and so would do this, that and the other (T’uther) then life’s view would be spectacular. The grass always looks greener on T'uther side. I wonder why we cannot be content with what we have or have not. There have been times in my life when I felt God had surely made a mistake and tried to fit someone else’s cross on my shoulders. This one surely isn’t for me.

Think about it! The Lord knows our frame. Either He is Sovereign or He’s not. ‘T’uther side looks good from here, maybe, but should I walk very far into that other side, I may fall off the cliff, because I am not accustomed to the terrain.
Maybe someday, we will learn to say with the Apostle Paul, “Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” (Philippians 4:11) I suppose some of that comes with age…or maybe that is T’uther Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment