Wednesday, November 23, 2011

To Grandmother's House We Go

“Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother’s house we go.
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through white and drifting snow...ooo”

I’ve always loved that old song by Lydia Maria Child. Surely it conjures up sweet memories of doing just that, but without the snow, regrettably…and the horse…and the sleigh. You get my drift. The excitement of going home for the holidays, whether it is Thanksgiving or Christmas or both, quickens the pulse.

As the LORD led me to His 23rd Psalm this morning, I prayed my way through it slowly, personalizing every word, every phrase. When I came to the 6th and last verse that promises, “and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” I saw that at some point in time I had penciled in the margin: “I’m on my way to Your House”.

During this holiday season, my desire is that you would read that dear and precious psalm as if He wrote it just for you…and I think He did. Rejoice in that Jehovah Rohi, The LORD my Shepherd; your Shepherd would pen such a love note to us. Ponder it, pray it, personalize it and as the Shepherd Himself anoints your head with His sweet oil, claim the promise that, “Surely, goodness and mercy will follow you (through the rush, the cooking, the shopping, the decorating, the tables set before you, laden with the feasts the Lord prepares, knowing every minute that you’re headed for the evermore dwelling place of our Shepherd Savior.

I’m on my way to Your House, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment