Thursday, December 15, 2011

GLORY, MAKE IT SHINE

HEART THOUGHTS…from Helen
“We have seen His Glory, the Glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14b)

Back in the early ‘60’s, Bill Jarvis directed the choir at Pendleton Street Baptist Church in Greenville, South Carolina. As student nurses at Greenville General Hospital, just a few blocks away, a group us girls were coerced into singing one Christmas and discovered what this choir was all about…GLORY! Forever, Bill Jarvis wanted the choir to sing for God’s Glory.

Yes, I actually participated in singing The Halleluiah Chorus with that choir. I do not read music nor am I gifted with voice, just making a ‘joyful noise’ seemed sufficient, as my Daddy used to say.

But that year, Bill hammered ‘Glory’ into my brain. I was so afraid of messing the music up; I followed directions as closely as I possibly could.

Each time he said, “Glory”, he added, “Make it Shine!”

So, this Christmas, as you sing of His Glory---Make it shine! To the Glory of God.

Jesus prayed in His great High Priestly prayer in John 17:24, “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see My Glory, the Glory you have given me because You loved me before the creation of the world.”

Addendum: The only other time I’ve seen that Glory by singing (though coerced) took place at McCormick First Baptist Church under the fervent leadership of Dave Becker.
Glory! Make it Shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment